We know it can be easy to forget to floss. However, flossing is more vital to your oral healthcare routine than you might think. Need a little extra nudge to get you or your kids to start flossing? Consider these five reasons to floss every single day.
- Reason #1: Freshen your breath! That’s right, mouthwash isn’t the only way to get fresh breath. Flossing is a critical step to removing the bacteria and food particles that get stuck in your teeth and ultimately cause halitosis (another word for bad breath). Flossing will dislodge those particles so you can rinse them away and keep your breath smelling great.
- Reason #2: Fight cavities! Flossing also helps you fight cavities, so you won’t have to spend extra money on getting fillings! Simply put: bacteria that is stuck in between your teeth release acids on your enamel, slowly wearing it away and forming a cavity. If you don’t floss, the bacteria on your teeth have plenty of opportunity to create this acid and cause damage. Your enamel cannot grow back, so flossing really is critical to stopping bacteria in their tracks and saving yourself from painful decay.
- Reason #3: Keep yourself looking young! If you floss your teeth every day, you’ll be rewarded with healthy gums. And with no visible deterioration of your teeth and gums, your smile will look young and healthy for years to come. Flossing actually helps you to avoid issues like gum disease, which can attack the bones that support your face. By preventing this issue, you also avoid having a sunken appearance to your jaw.
- Reason #4: Prevent gum disease. Have your gums ever bled while trying to floss? This is likely a symptom of gingivitis, which is the earliest stage of gum disease. (Healthy gums should never bleed, so if this occurs be certain to visit Carillon Family Dental as soon as possible.) Unfortunately, gum disease is actually quite common — 75 percent of Americans over 35 are affected. Luckily, it is also easily preventable by flossing to remove the plaque that would ultimately irritate your gums.
- Reason #5: Stay Healthy! The last (but certainly not least) reason to floss is to maintain your overall health. Gum disease doesn’t only impact the gums — it can impact your whole body and even cause life-threatening illnesses and complications, such as heart and respiratory disease, stroke, rheumatoid arthritis, and even complications with pregnancy. Ultimately, preventing gum disease through flossing allows you to avoid the risk of serious conditions and, therefore, keeps yourself happy and healthy.
Start getting yourself into a good oral health routine!
Try putting your dental floss right next to your toothbrush. Take the time to brush at least once every night. Bonus points if you can also floss after meals! This is an easy way to get your mouth in good health and keep your smile looking great.
If you’d like to learn more ways to improve your oral health, call Carillon Family Dental in Romeoville today to schedule an appointment.